I had a seizure

I had a seizure. I don’t even remember it. What does ‘seizure’ mean?

First, I need to understand how my brain works. Messages in my brain are sent like packages of information. They go to other brain areas or to my body to tell it to move.




These packages follow strict rules, just like when mom and dad drive. There are stop and go signals just like stop signs and stop lights.




Sometimes the signals stop working right. All the messages go crazy! They go everywhere and don’t make any sense at all.




This causes chaos in my brain. My thoughts stop working and my body jerks. I fall to the ground.




After all this crazy activity stops, my brain has to reboot. Just like a computer has to restart after the power goes out. I sleep while my brain reboots.

After I wake up, my thoughts may seem slow and my body seems clumsy. My arms or legs might hurt from all the jerking during the seizure. Or I might have a headache I can tell dad to get me a pill.




Sometimes I know before I have a seizure, I might get a strange feeling. Bibi may be able to be trained to recognize the smell of a seizure about to happen and tell me by barking. 

I will get special tests to look at my brain. I will see a special doctor called a neurologist who treats seizures. This study measures the electricity in my brain with special stickers that stick to my head.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Just Not That Sorry for You

Bullying and Me

It's All In Your Mind